The Chicago Tribune has recommended Vietnamese ice coffee as among the best to try in the state
The American newspaper recently listed seven types of coffee that readers should taste. First on the list was Vietnam custard coffee, more often known as egg coffee.
The newspaper suggested that readers try this drink at a coffee shop in Chicago, Illinois, where this coffee is made with egg yolk, vanilla and condensed milk through a filter system called “phin”.
The other drinks recommended by the paper include: Ethiopian coffee ceremony, Turkish Coffee, Mexican Cafe de Olla, Coffee Milk Tea, Japanese coffee jelly, Colombian-style coffee.
Vietnamese egg coffee is a signature drink of the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi. It was invented in the 1940s when there was scarcity of milk in the city, prompting a bartender to use a replacement.
The alternative, whisked egg yolk, turned the coffee into one of the most renowned drinks in the country.
A cup of Vietnamese egg coffee. Photo acquired by VnExpress
The coffee has three main elements: condensed milk at the bottom, coffee and whisked egg yolk, creating a mixture that combines sweet, bitter and fatty flavors.
The inventor’s descendant now serves the most authentic egg coffee on Nguyen Huu Huan Street in Hanoi.
Try it, for the heck of it, and see what happens.
Newer news items:
Older news items:
- Saigon café takes you to a stress-free, yesteryear Hanoi - 08/12/2018 01:34
- Vietnamese Fruits You Should Try When in Vietnam 2018 and made juice - 09/10/2018 07:19
- HCM City theme park set to host Southern Fruit Festival - 01/06/2018 07:05
- Industry bitter about Vietnam tax on sweetened drinks - 01/06/2018 06:40
- Top 7 fruit juice shops in HCM City - Viet Nam - 02/04/2018 02:14